Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Low Light, Pretty Commutes

Riding my bike to work in the summertime is a easy. It's daylight in the morning and the evening. Dressing is a snap.  Once the cooler temperatures start to creep in, dressing becomes a bit of a hassle.  And the darkness starts to creep in on both ends of my day.

The upside to fall is the fact that I get to see the sunrise over the Potomac River.  I am a sunrise junkie. 

Sunrise at Dyke Marsh
The colors of fall are just starting to arrive.  This is such a bittersweet time. We should get about two weeks of fireworks from the maples, sumac and other colorful plants.  Then we get barren trees and cold wind.  The trees along the Mount Vernon Trail are beginning to turn.  The low morning and evening light makes them especially beautiful.

Morning light brings out the yellow
I stopped three times on  my commute today just to take in the show.  You can see these things briefly from a car, but you can't stop and let them wash over you.



Mount Vernon Trail just south of National Airport
They say the best things in life are free. They are wise.

3 comments:

  1. :) Yep, Fall is great - - I stopped this morning to take a picture of a pretty tree - I think it's a Maple?

    ReplyDelete